Monday, September 8, 2008

Emmanuel

August 12- I left for Honduras. I went and spent 9 days at Orphanage Emmanuel and loved every minute. The weather was not what we expected. We expected it to be hot and humid, but when we got to Tegucigalpa, Honduras it was overcast, mid 70's probably 30% humid with a cool breeze. It was just like Hawaii, very green but without the ocean outside your window. We drove about 2 hours and arrived at this place.



This kids all spoke spanish but some of them knew a little bit of english making it a little easier to communicate. I was really nervous around the kids the first few days becasue I couldnt communicate. I finally got over that fear and just loved on the kids and had an incredible time.
We had a fair for this kids and got to have water fights with them. I got to sew skirts out of jeans, helped out at the preschool, and played with the toddlers. I even found one that I wanted to bring home with me, his name was oscar Alejandro, don't tell any of the other kids but he was definately my favorite. The kids have such amazing faith, we had two guys in our group that would walk around with their guitars playing songs we sing at church and before we knew it our theme song for the trip was Hosanna, I dont think I can ever listen to that song again without thinking about these kids. They are so blessed and have it so good at Emmanuel I found it hard to feel sorry for them, they are so happy and have the lord in their hearts, they are living the life.

Another one of my favorites would have to be this CUTE baby, his name is Robbie and is one of the staff couples babies. His dad is from Florida and came to Emmanuel during college where he met his wife, who was one of the older orphan girls going to school in Tegucigalpa to become a nurse. They fell in love and now both live and work full time at the orphanage.


The trip was amazing, I want to go back someday, but for now I must live in the US get a job and pay off my student loans. And maybe learn some more spanish so that I can communicate with the people at Emmanuel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I loved Robbie too!
Have a good week, Mel...I look forward to hearing updates on the job search! Love ya--Scarlett