Friday, September 30, 2011

Just call me Tangeeni!

So this past week I traveled from Okahandja to Ondangwa for my site visit.  I traveled for about 8 hours for a pretty eventful ride.  Here is how our day went:
8am- left in a two combi caravan headed north
845am- pulled off the road to check the tires because the car is driving weird
10ish am- stopped in Otjiverongo at the SuperSpar (what up?!?!)
1230pm-ish- dropped some peeps off in Tsumeb, went to pay an outstanding petrol bill from our supervisors trip down south, had to get petrol at a different station, our card did not work so we had to wait over an hour for them to try again, meanwhile we went into another Spar grocery store to do some prime time shopping for our host families
130pm-ish- finally get to leave Tsumeb
145pm- get pulled over for speeding and I swear they took our driver in their cop car but they didn't
3pm- cross over the red line and officially enter the north
4pm-ish- finally arrive in Ondangwa my new home :)

 The beginning of our journey.
 Renee, one of my fellow trainees, while we were stuck at the petrol station #2.  She was excited about our adventures along with me.  Renee will live about 15 mins from me at site. (15 minute drive, that is)
 This was the view from my site visit house.  It's very sandy up in Ondangwa.  The school I will be working at is in the background.
This is from our journey back to training.  It was about a 6 hour combi ride with Rick and Renee. Rick is a fellow SEED volunteer and lives in Ondangwa as well.  These two will most likely be the ones that I will see the most.  Great peeps.  :)

As for my new name.  I am working for an OVC (Orphans and Vulnerable Children) organization called Oonte.  My supervisor meme Shiimi is one of the most loving warm people I have met in Namibia so far and I love her.  She is a Christian and has been praying for my arrival and what I should be called.  She chose my new Oshiwambo name to be Tangeeni, meaning praise God for his many blessings.  It is pronounced Tan-gay-nee.  It is so cute, all the children at the OVC call me by this name and are such amazing children despite their hardships.  Many are orphaned due to AIDS/HIV.  It is heartbreaking but Meme Shiimi is sharing the love of God with them and they are truly beautiful. 

I am doing really well and have made many lasting friendships.  Thank you for your many prayers and support.  I love you all!  :)


2 comments:

Terri Nicks said...

Tangeeni! I love it.
I'm really glad you will have good friends living close by too.

Alison McWade said...

this reminds me of jungle to jungle!! Meme seku!!! or how ever is it spelled but i know you know what i am talk about hehe!!! love you tangeeni!!!!