Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Glass half full...

So life lately hasn't been that great for me... for a few personal reasons. But... I am choosing to change my view on how things are going and be grateful.

I LIVE in Africa. How many people do you know that have actually lived in Africa? Let alone anywhere outside of the US? At least one... me!

There are these beautiful sunflowers they grew at my OVC. They are seriously the most beautiful sight... I'll post pictures soon to prove how gorgeous they are!

The toddler aged kids here are so precious. At least one if not 12 run out and greet me with a big hug when I arrive to work at my OVC. How can that not make my days start off great?

I met the US Ambassador and PEPFAR Coordinator this week at my OVC. They are like celebrities here in Namibia. They were very nice and loved Oonte OVC. Why wouldn't they? It's a blessing to get to work here!

I do know something about business and have something to offer my learners (students). Most of the grade 10 learners passed their first exam with flying colors! That is huge here! :) I also started a tuck shop (snack bar type store the learners will eventually run). I am excited to teach some of our top learners some skills in depth and help them put those skills to practice.
-Funny story. I opened our tuck shop last Friday for break and I think more learners came by to watch me or look at me then to buy stuff. It's funny because I stand in front of them all in class and they still can't get enough of looking at me. I just laugh and greet them.

Namibia has been pretty good on my self esteem. I have been told by many people how amazing I am. :) There have even been many proposals and professions of love! hahaha. That too makes me laugh out loud!

There is usually a lightning and thunder storm daily and they are amazing! It’s like a free ticket to Mother Nature’s own light show and is so pretty.

I have made some amazing friends. One of my best friends here happens to be a 41 year old man (a fellow PVC)... when you meet the two of us individually you'd never guess we'd hang out... but together we rag and tease each other to know end. It's pretty hilarious. There are some other PCV's who help keep me sane and love me for me. They are all amazing! They come to town often and hang out with us... people don't really go to the village to hang out, so I consider myself super lucky.

The locals are amazing as well. Everyone I work with is so sweet and friendly and they answer all my crazy questions. I am lucky to work with these people. Some of the other volunteers tell stories of conflicts and lazy co-workers and it just makes me so grateful for everyone around me.

I live in a "village" in town. I live a 20 minute walk (2-3 km) to the road which is town. My volunteer friends tell me my house is not in a village because it is so close to town and most everyone speaks English. It's true, I am so lucky. I live in a newer house with my Meme and Tate (mom and dad) that has a bathroom with a flushing toilet and a shower and the whole house has electricity.

I go home to visit my family and friends in a little less than two weeks! I am so excited and am so blessed to get to witness the marriage of two amazing friends! Thank you, Linda. Your gift of bringing me home for Al's wedding is one of the best gifts ever!

I get to Skype with my family and friends fairly often helping me to not get homesick.

As far as the personal things... life goes on. We learn from our trials and tribulations and I am grateful for them because they will make me into a stronger better person. I am just so thankful for the blessings God has showered me with.
Love you all!

On a side note... I wish these flies would drown in my half full glass... they are so annoying and relentless! :)

No comments: